Reanimated Lavender Granola Switchblade Nun rides again.

Sunday, October 25, 2015

Venus de Milo

Venus de Milo couldn't get that gig as a railroad switchman--
I fucked the foreman for it, and oh,
the thundering crashes I cause when my mood starts to falter.

Vene, honey, hand me that lantern, won't you?
Diogenes left it here when he caught the Tulsa Queen last night.
He said he'd be back for it, but he lies like a rug.
I said, Vene--
oh, shit, sorry. Haha. 
"Take my arms; I never use them." Got to love Lady Day.

Every night, after the first responders have gone,
I review my work, and find
that I am unkind,
uncharitable,
homicidal and terrible.
Oh, Vene, let me lay my poor head on your breast.
(Try and stop me! Ha!)
I don't want to be this way for the rest of my life.

Here, you can have all the covers,
I want to be naked, as a sign of purity and renewal.
Pray with me, Vene.
Fold your hands and--oh fuck a duck, you're hopeless, girl.
Glorious God,
Hear me, though I am your most unworthy servant.
Make me nicer.

Vene, here comes Casey Jones.
Drivin' that train, high on cocaine.
Watch me bring him in soft as a mail sack full of feathers.
It's the new me. Hold my hand, Vene!
Oh, for the love of Mike.

Did you see that? My hand just reached out and switched the lights.
All by itself! It wasn't me!
Casey Jones you'd better watch your speed.
_______

For Mag 291. Image by Daniel Murtagh. Quoted lyrics from "All Of Me" by Gerald Marks and Seymour Simons and the Grateful Dead's "Casey Jones" by Jerry Garcia and Robert Hunter.








22 comments:

  1. This is just what I needed this morning. I shall say no more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heavens. This is a fantastic mix of tall tale, truth and sharp tongue. Well done, ma'am.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know where this came from but I loved the spirit in it. I liked the way you used the song and somehow Venus De Milo is perfect for this. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha ha! I am laughing my ass off over here! I adore your ADHD, personality-disordered, doin'-everybody speaker. (Look! No hands! No hands! ... That's a Julia Roberts quote from Pretty Woman.)

    At least she's trying to change. ~And guide Vene along, as well. What a groovy Samaritan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I especially love the reviewing of the day "after the first responders come".........your brain must be an amazing place to hang out in, you must have so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wasn't it Hemingway who wrote "Farewell to arms"... it should have been poor Vene....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lawd have mercy ... Lawd have mercy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Full On Shay. One of your shattering best in some time [not undercutting the intervening. . . oh shit, I just mean this one screamed "Shay At Her Best"]



    ALOHA, Your Faithful Serpent
    ComfortSpiral

    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_('')

    ReplyDelete
  9. I swear--swear, dammit--that I left a comment on your last post, because I really want--no, need--a consultant like that.

    I almost always visit. Except during parent-teacher conference weeks, when my schedule is cray-cray.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Priceless piece. The Grateful Dead would be grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Funny: Take my arms, I never use them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, it's fortunate I have learned to avoid all beverages while visiting here...honestly, I'm not sure what inspiration Venus de Milo can provide, but handling her...er, employing her like this is genius--a reflection of the narrator's own inability to change--I mean, when your arms are gone, they're gone, and when the bitchiness calls, you must obey. I do love the layers I am not describing here even more though-the sense of why terrible crap happens, of random spite, of a stony breast, not only unheard but unsayable prayers--anyway, as always, the best of the best poetry is growing in this garden.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your prayer to make you nicer. Underneath your smartassedness, there is much tenderness. La la mosk

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the references to the railroad. The whole cracked me up... poor Vene.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Take my arms, I never use them. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  16. A thousand tonne beast of liminality

    ReplyDelete
  17. Here you can have all the covers...brilliant...wish I had thought of that...

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think the Grateful Dead are giving you a standing ovation!
    xo jj

    ReplyDelete
  19. Powerful, impacting of thoughts and images, and the between the lines are a melting pot of passion and wit! Love it.

    ReplyDelete

Spirit, what do you wish to tell us?